As the competition season draws closer, you know your life is going to get really hectic, really fast. Between the demands of your studio, your dancers and their parents, and your own busy personal life, you’re juggling a lot of things. Tension and stress are inevitable. But it’s what you do to manage both that really matters.
Finding balance is important, but often hard to do. One important thing to keep in mind is that you have control, even at times when it may feel like you don’t. Here are some tips to help you find the balance you need during these next few crazy months:
- Set realistic expectations. No, you can’t do it all; nobody can. You’re likely harder on yourself than anyone else is, so cut yourself a little slack!
- Don’t waste time worrying about what you can’t control—the weather, what others do or don’t do. Control the things you can; let the others go.
- Give yourself a break. When you’re going in every direction, 24/7, your mind and body don’t get a chance to rest. Take a break—even if it’s only for a few minutes—to get away from the pressure we all have.
- Avoid excess—excess food, excess adult beverages, excess anything. What you put in your body affects your mood.
- Find time for exercise, even if it’s just a quick walk around the block or your neighborhood. Exercise releases endorphins that can give you a boost. Move your body every day, as much and as often as you can.
- Don’t take things too personally. Yes, you will encounter angry parents. Yes, you will receive both compliments and complaints—take both into consideration, but don’t take it personally!
- Let go of the “should-a, would-a, could-a’s.” We are all our own worst critics. Don’t focus on regrets or worry about past events you can no longer control. Move on.
- Have fun! Never forget why you do what you do. Because you love it!
As you dive into this very hectic competition season, keep these tips in mind. Keep us in mind as well. Curtain Call is here to help with any last minute costume or dance wear needs you may have.